This project was archived.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
South Sudan is one of the places prioritised by Missing Maps. So far, mapping in South Sudan has been conducted in response to Médecins Sans Frontières requests for base mapping. The maps have been used by MSF to plan household surveys and rapid nutritional assessment, which both help provide vital information on the health of the population.
This task is the first stage of the Missing Maps providing pre-emptive mapping for South Sudan as a whole, beginning with the Unity State. The aim of the task is to map residential areas and main roads, ready for future tasks which will then focus on buildings and local roads, tracks and paths. The next step is to expand this preemptive mapping to other states within South Sudan.
Created by jowilkin - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- residential areas, primary roads, secondary roads
- Changeset Comment
- Unity State, #SouthSudan #hotosm-project-993 #MissingMaps #Bing When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
This is the first stage in providing pre-emptive mapping of the Unity State in South Sudan.
The first stage focusses on residential areas and major highways/roads.
Please outline residential areas (more than two houses) and tag as landuse=residential.
Please trace major highways and roads - see below for useful tags and resources.
The road networks within towns and villages do not need to be mapped at this point. Likewise smaller offshoot roads could be left off unless they link different areas of habitation.
Commonly used tags and useful resources:
- landuse=residential for a border around a cluster of residential buildings
- highway=primary, secondary or tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=unclassified connecting smaller villages and hamlets.
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, not even a 4x4 can get down this