This project was archived.
- Author: MSF
- Requesting Organization: Missing Maps
- Priority: High
Priority changed to high as an MSF team is planning to do an exploratory mission to this area in the coming weeks and is relying on the map data from this task
These trace maps will be used to conduct emergency mortality / nutrition assessments in parts of South Sudan where there has been recent conflict and harvest failure, in order to plan a medical response. Without these maps, teams do not know what size of population to expect, where to find them, or even how accessible they are.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate preemptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
For more information on the Missing Maps, visit www.missingmaps.org.
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- Road networks, residential areas and buildings
- Changeset Comment
- Mading South Sudan #hotosm-task-729 #MissingMaps #MapGive #NextView When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
[imagery url available only after accepting the license]
Access to this imagery is limited by the NextView license agreement.
You need to review and acknowledge the agreement.
Please trace all buildings and tag as building=yes.
The task was previously done, but in some squares, only residential areas were traced and tagged. The MSF team has informed us that they need buildings traced to carry out their activities. Please trace all buildings in the invalidated squares.
Please trace areas of housing (landuse=residential), buildings (building=yes) and map roads and smaller paths for as far as you can follow them (see below for useful tags and resources). Also trace waterways such as streams, rivers, canals etc. Use Bing Imagery.
Save with credit to HotOSM. Comment the changeset with: Mading South Sudan #hotosm-task-729 #MissingMaps #MapGive #NextView
Commonly used tags and useful resources:
- landuse=residential for a border around a cluster of residential buildings
- building=yes for rectangular & round buildings - trace the building outline
- building=construction for walls without a roof
- highway=primary, secondary or tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path - not even a 4x4 can get down this
- waterway=river for centreline on waterway
- waterway=riverbank for river banks!
- waterway=wadi - path of a seasonal river or stream - depends on the time of year as to whether water present
- natural=water & water=lake for lakes
Other useful tags
- leisure=common for large open areas (not fields, just smooth open ground next to towns) as as these are potential helicopter landing sites.
- amenity=school - school areas are easily identified as 1 or 2 long buildings at the edge of the village, sometimes with two small toilet buildings behind them. The schools are almost always accompanied by a large open area for the children to play in, tag the whole area of the school complex with amenity=school and trace the school buildings and bathrooms.