This project was archived.
- Author: HOT
- Requesting organization: Red Cross
NEEDS VALIDATION - URGENT
Roads Task - Intermediate Mappers Please
Monsoon season in South Asia has brought above average rainfall, resulting in devastating flooding across the region in Bangladesh, Nepal, and India. Over 1,200 people have died as a result, and over 30 million people have been impacted. Mapping projects in the most affected districts of Bangladesh will provide an updated road map and dataset for the the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society and the IFRC.
Created by Giblet - Updated - Priority: urgent
- Entities to Map
- Roads and residential areas
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-3492 added roads and residential areas #bangladesh #redcross #southasiafloods #geodan20170906 #rodekruis When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
IMAGERY Please use Bing imagery
- Please use the tag
landuse=residentialto map groups of buildings that appear to be small communities. We will not be mapping individual buildings for this project.
- Please map roads as completely as possible by connecting them to the main road networks where ever possible.
- Very short segments that do not connect to anything should not be mapped.
- Short segments of a road or path that you cannot see through the trees but seem very likely to exist should be mapped to keep the road complete
- Try and map a little beyond your task square so the person who maps the task square next to yours can easily connect them.
- Always connect roads to other roads where they meet and never end roads on Residential area polygon edges.
You will most often use the following road classifications (JOSM):
From the WikiProject Bangladesh Page
- highway=primary,secondary - These are major roads that connect large cites and span long distances. Many of these are already mapped, just be sure to map the unclassifieds and residential that run off of the existing mapped roads.
- highway=tertiary - Major local roads, to be judged by the mapper
- highway=unclassified - Minor local roads, to be judged by the mapper
- highway=residential - City roads that are mostly for access to housing
- highway=service - Alleys, etc
- highway=footway -Paths that are not accessible by cars