- Author: HOT and USAID GeoCenter
- Requesting Organization: Abt Associates
- Map Feature:
HOT is working with the USAID GeoCenter to map buildings in several districts in Mali to identify the number of structures to be included in Indoor Residual Spraying campaigns. The spraying is to be conducted by Abt Associations under the President's Malaria Initiative.
This project is to trace buildings in this district of Mali. Please use the DigitalGlobe Premium Imagery (it should load automatically in the iD and JOSM editors).
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Created by russdeffner - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-3316 #MissingMaps #EndMalaria #Mali When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
Project Specific Mapping Notes
- Some of these squares may already be partially or fully mapped, please review and map missing features if needed, fix up the existing mapping, or just mark it "Done" if already complete.
- Please use the DigitalGlobe Premium Imagery as it is often newer than Bing or Mapbox, however, it may be offset; align it to existing features or GPS traces where applicable, if no GPS available, use Bing imagery as best alignment.
- View this video demonstration of imagery alignment in iD
- Please accurately outline all the buildings you can find. The outline should be for the full size of the building even if it is partly covered by trees in the imagery.
- Most buildings are rectangular, after drawing the outline, use the 's' key in the iD web editor to "square" the corners.
- For circular buildings there is the 'o' key in the iD editor to create a circular structure.
- Many buildings are very close, but do not actually touch each other, try to map them close to each other without letting them connect or share nodes with each other, roads or residential area outlines. In the iD web editor, holding down the "alt" key will keep nodes of "snapping" to each other and accidentally connecting.
- In the iD web editor, the first time you map a building you will use the "Building Features" category and then at the top of the list select "Building" again, this is the most generic building tag we can use as we almost never can tell the more specific use of any building from imagery alone.
If you have personal knowledge of a building, please add that information to the building, like the name or type of building (hospital, school, gas station, etc)
Roads and Other Features
Your are not requested to map anything other than buildings in this project, however if you choose to, please consult Highway Tag Africa Wiki for details and examples of mapping roads in Africa and the broader OSM Wiki for mapping and tagging guidance.