- Author: HOT
- Requesting Organization: UNICEF
- Map Feature:
The Salima District is a relatively small district in Malawi which is often affected by flooding. Today, UNICEF Malawi and our partners lack a fit-for-purpose digital road network to support service delivery to most vulnerable woman and children. A connected and topologically correct road network dataset will, for example, help us better target programmes to increase accessibility to health services and be more efficient at delivering of nutrition services to malnourished children under two years old in remote areas. If successful, we hope to replicate this mapathon initiative to cover additional districts of Malawi in the coming months.
Help us to map the road network in Malawi’s Salima District.
This project is more for intermediate to advanced mappers.
Created by russdeffner - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- Road Network
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-2656 #UNICEF #Malawi When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
- Please use the Bing imagery for aligning roads.
Roads and Paths
- Visit http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa for an guide on tagging highways in Africa
- Add surface=paved or unpaved to all road segments.
- Please map roads and major paths as completely as possible by connecting them to the main road networks where ever possible
- Very short segments that do not connect to anything should not be mapped
- Short segments of a road or path that you cannot see through the trees but seem very likely to exist should be mapped to keep the road complete
- Map a little beyond your task square so the person who maps the task square next to yours can easily connect them
- Always connect roads to other roads where they meet and never end roads on Residential area edges
You will most often use the following road classifications (JOSM):
- highway=unclassified - This is for roads that a vehicle with 4 wheel drive vehicle could travel on that connect small villages and settlements
- highway=residential - These are roads that are found within settlements that only are used for access to houses and buildings
- highway=track - This is for roads that only lead to farm fields or forests. They do not connect settlements
- highway=path - This is for small paths that a 4 wheeled vehicle could not travel on and are usually used by people on foot or 2 wheeled vehicles. They may or may not connect settlements or lead to farm fields. Only map the major paths that connect to settlements or other roads
You will most often use the following "Road Features" and "Path Features" (iD Web Editor):
- Minor/Unclassified - This is for roads that connect small villages and settlements
- Residential Road - These are roads that are in settlements but only are used for access to houses and buildings
- Unmaintained Track Road - This is for roads that only lead to farm fields or forests. They do not connect settlements or residential areas
- Path - This is for small paths that are usually used by people on foot or 2 wheeled vehicles. They may or may not connect settlements or lead to farm fields. Only map the major paths that connect to settlements or other roads