This project was archived.
- Requesting Organization: IFRC
- Priority: Urgent
*Many of these squares will already be partially or fully mapped, map in more if needed or fix up the existing mapping, or just mark it "Done" if it is already complete.
ROADS ONLY. This is the first of two projects for this commune. A buildings project will follow.
On Tuesday, March 7th, a Cyclone Enawo with wind speeds equivalent to that of a category 4 hurricane, made landfall in the north east of Madagascar. This is the strongest cyclone that has impacted the country in the last 13 years. Much of the nation's roads are dirt, and due to rains and flooding, reaching the most heavily impacted areas will be difficult. Until cloud free, post-event imagery is available, ensuring a complete road network for base map data is important for organizations responding on the ground.
Created by Giblet - Updated - Priority: urgent
- Entities to Map
- ROADS ONLY
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-2643 #CycloneEnawo #redcross When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
- Road Network Only - No Buildings
- Many of these squares will already be partially or fully mapped, map in more if needed or fix up the existing mapping, or just mark it "Done" if it is already complete.
Please use Bing imagery for this task
- Please map roads as completely as possible by connecting them to the main road networks where ever possible.
- Very short segments that do not connect to anything should not be mapped.
- Short segments of a road or path that you cannot see through the trees but seem very likely to exist should be mapped to keep the road complete
- Try and map a little beyond your task square so the person who maps the task square next to yours can easily connect them.
- Always connect roads to other roads where they meet and never end roads on Residential area polygon edges or buildings.
You will most often use the following road classifications (JOSM): highway=primary,secondary,tertiary - These are major roads that connect large cites and span long distances. Many of these are already mapped, just be sure to map the unclassifieds and residential that run off of the existing mapped roads. highway=unclassified - This is for roads that a vehicle with 4 wheels could travel on that connect small villages and settlements * highway=residential - These are roads that are in settlements that only are used for access to houses and buildings.
You will most often use the following "Road Features" (iD Web Editor):
- Minor/Unclassified - This is for roads that connect small villages and settlements
- Residential Road - These are roads that are in settlements but only are used for access to houses and buildings.