This project was archived.
- Author: HOT
- Requesting Organization: Tanzania Development Trust
- Priority: Medium
Maswa district in Tanzania has a high incidence of early marriage and Gender Based Violence. NGOs on the ground need better road and residential area data to facilitate their outreach work.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Created by JanetChapman - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- road networks and buildings
- Changeset Comment
- #TanzaniaDevelopmentTrust #Tanzania #missingmaps #hotosm-project-2609 When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
Project Specific Mapping Notes
- Please trace highways, buildings and outline residential areas from the satellite images.
- Residential areas often include groups of circular huts.
- Each residential area should have a road linking to it, tagged as highway=unclassified.
- All highways should join up, even if the exact location is not clear.
- Local mappers: Local knowledge tags and images (Interesting for remote mappers too!)
- 7 minute video showing basics of how to map this project
- General remote mapping tutorials: Beginner Learn-To-Map Videos and LearnOSM
- Use the "Split" link after you click "Start Mapping" to make tiles smaller if needed.
Most Commonly used tags:
- Please accurately outline all the buildings you can find. The outline should be for the full size of the building even if it is partly covered by trees in the imagery.
- For square or rectangular buildings, after drawing the outline, use the 's' key in the web editor to "square" the corners.
- In the iD web editor, the first time you map a building you will use the "Building" category and then at the top of the list select "Building" again.
- Many of the buildings are round, you can watch a 1 minute video demonstrating a fast way to map round buildings in iD Web Editor
Road and Path Mapping
You will most often use the following "Road Features" and "Path Features" (iD Web Editor):
- Primary Road, Secondary Road, Tertiary Road - Long, major roads that connect larger towns and cities (many of these are already mapped)
- Minor/Unclassified - This is for roads that connect small villages and settlements (most commonly used road tag)
- Residential Road - These are roads that are in settlements but only are used for access to houses and buildings.
- Path - This is for small paths that are usually used by people on foot or 2 wheeled vehicles. They may or may not connect settlements or lead to farm fields, tagged highway=path. Only map the major paths that connect to settlements or other roads.
- Unmaintained Track Road - This is for roads that only lead to farm fields or forests, tagged as highway=track. They do not connect settlements or residential areas. (Not required for this project, but if you want to map you can)
See Africa Highway Tags page for advice on tagging roads and the OSM map features page for more info.