- Author: HOT and DigitalGlobe
- Requesting Org: Clinton Health Access Initiative
To support the Clinton Health Access Initiative efforts to eliminate malaria and other interventions, HOT and DigitalGlobe have teamed up to identify and map populated places in an area of interest covering over 500,000 square kilometers in Southern Africa, Southeast Asia and Central America. Your mapping contribution will help prevent the suffering and loss of life this disease causes.
This project is to review, update and complete the basemap (buildings and roads) in this region of Botswana. Some of the region has been mapped before but much of it was several years ago and and many places we have more recent imagery. The project tasks are created from areas identified as populated through a Tomnod imagery identification project, this is why you will see individual or very few task squares often far removed from others. It may be necessary to zoom and pan to find tasks, or use the 'Take a task at random' option.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Created by russdeffner - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- Road Network and Structures
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-2396 #MissingMaps #EliminateMalaria #Botswana When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
Project Specific Mapping Notes
- Many of these squares will already be partially or fully mapped, map in more if needed or fix up the existing mapping, or just mark it "Done" if it is already complete.
- Please connect up roads that are not connected to the main network or nearby roads.
- Please disconnect roads that are attached to landuse=residential areas and draw them into the settlements and connect them to other roads that enter the settlements
- Please use the DigitalGlobe imagery provided (should open automatically in iD).
- JOSM users use this TMS service: https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/digitalglobe/cityp912x00cg2inx7g29eajq/tiles/256/%7Bz%7D/%7Bx%7D/%7By%7D?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoiZGlnaXRhbGdsb2JlIiwiYSI6ImNpd3A2OTAwODAwNGUyenFuNTkyZjRkeWsifQ.Y44JcpYP9gXsZD3p5KBZbA
- Align imagery to existing mapping done from Bing imagery.
- Please accurately outline all the buildings you can find. The outline should be for the full size of the building even if it is partly covered by trees in the imagery.
- Most buildings are rectangular, after drawing the outline, use the 's' key in the iD web editor to "square" the corners.
- For circular buildings there is the 'o' key in the iD editor to create a circular structure.
- Many buildings are very close, but do not actually touch each other, try to map them close to each other without letting them connect or share nodes with each other, roads or residential area outlines. In the iD web editor, holding down the "alt" key will keep nodes of "snapping" to each other and accidentally connecting.
- In the iD web editor, the first time you map a building you will use the "Building Features" category and then at the top of the list select "Building" again, this is the most generic building tag we can use as we almost never can tell the more specific use of any building from imagery alone.
If you have personal knowledge of a building, please add that information to the building, like the name or type of building (hospital, school, gas station, etc)
Road and Path Mapping
You will most often use the following "Road Features" and "Path Features" (iD Web Editor):
- Primary Road, Secondary Road, Tertiary Road - Long, major roads that connect larger towns and cities (many of these are already mapped)
- Minor/Unclassified - This is for roads that connect small villages and settlements (most commonly used road tag)
- Residential Road - These are roads that are in settlements but only are used for access to houses and buildings.
- Path - This is for small paths that are usually used by people on foot or 2 wheeled vehicles. They may or may not connect settlements or lead to farm fields, tagged as highway=path. Only map the major paths that connect to settlements or other roads.
- Unmaintained Track Road - This is for roads that only lead to farm fields or forests, tagged as highway=track. They do not connect settlements or residential areas. (Not required for this project, but if you want to map you can)
See Africa Highway Tags page for advice on tagging roads and the OSM map features page for more info.