Advanced Mapping - Roads only - Road Network - New mappers should focus on the buildings only project
- Author: HOT
- Requesting organization: Red Cross
- Priority: Urgent
Hurricane Matthew a category 4 hurricane caused catastrophic damage to western Haiti. Over 2 feet of rain fell, causing flooding, damaging homes and washing away infrastructure. According to reports over 15,000 people have been displaced including destroying almost 4,000 homes. Bridges and roads have been affected including critical links for relief efforts. The government has estimated at least 350,000 people need some kind of assistance after the disaster.
This is the first project to map the road network for routing and logistics use.
Created by bgirardot - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- roads: primary, secondary, tertiary, unclassified, residential only
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-2219 #HurricaneMatthew #haiti Roads mapping in Nippes. When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
UPDATE IMAGERY - UPDATED IMAGERY - UPDATED IMAGERY
Advanced Mapping - Roads only - Road Network - New mappers should focus on one of the buildings only projects
OVERLAPS WITH 2203 ROAD PROJECT - ALONG THE SOUTH OF THE PROJECT
Project Specific Mapping Notes
- UPDATED IMAGERY: We have updated the imagery so previously low resolution imagery areas should now have better imagery. You will still need to check Bing, Mapbox and the Task imagery to see which is clearest, less clouds.
- NOTE: This project slightly overlaps with #2203 along the south of this project area (north area of 2203) please make sure 2203 is completed in that area first OR work on a task square not in the overlap area.
- Road Network Only - No Buildings
- Many of these squares will already be partially or fully mapped, map in more if needed or fix up the existing mapping, or just mark it "Done" if it is already complete.
- Please connect up roads that are not connected to the main network or nearby roads.
- DO NOT Map paths and tracks - Roads that connect to settlements and other roads only
- Please map roads as completely as possible by connecting them to the main road networks where ever possible.
- Very short segments that do not connect to anything should not be mapped.
- Short segments of a road or path that you cannot see through the trees but seem very likely to exist should be mapped to keep the road complete
- Try and map a little beyond your task square so the person who maps the task square next to yours can easily connect them.
- Always connect roads to other roads where they meet and never end roads on Residential area polygon edges.
You will most often use the following road classifications (JOSM): highway=primary,secondary,tertiary - These are major roads that connect large cites and span long distances. Many of these are already mapped, just be sure to map the unclassifieds and residential that run off of the existing mapped roads. highway=unclassified - This is for roads that a vehicle with 4 wheels could travel on that connect small villages and settlements * highway=residential - These are roads that are in settlements that only are used for access to houses and buildings.
You will most often use the following "Road Features" (iD Web Editor):
- Minor/Unclassified - This is for roads that connect small villages and settlements
- Residential Road - These are roads that are in settlements but only are used for access to houses and buildings.