- Author: Missing Maps / HOT
- Requesting organization: MSF
MSF needs to get a fair statistical representation sample of populations in a specific district of Malawi (Nsanje District).The maps will help MSF team on the field to find access more easily to randomly selected villages and group of houses. MSF is conducting an important study that aims to gather critical information about the real and true percentage of people affected by HIV. We need to know as precisely as possible, within that given population who has been tested for HIV, and who has started treatment, are currently under treatment, and are responding well to it.
This study will help the MSF and Ministry of Health teams in the field better measure the current, joint effort to fight HIV. It will help steer the MSF and Ministry of Health decision making process and should lead to better and more impactful operations.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Explanation by Raphael Bréchard, GIS Manager for MSF, in Malawi/Moambique (in french)
Interview Dr Anthonio : How this study will help MSF and the ministry of health?
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- Road networks and residential areas
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-2171, #MissingMaps, Nsanje, #Malawi Added #majorroads using bing When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
This is the first stage in providing pre-emptive mapping of Nsanje District in Malwai. This stage focuses on residential areas / settlements and major highways / roads.
Please use bing imagery. If there is cloud cover, try MapBox imagery (but it might be too poor quality to use).
Commonly used tags
Residential areas are composed of more than two houses and are tagged with landuse=residential. Click here for a guide on mapping residential areas in South Kivu, DRC.
- highway=primary, highway=secondary or highway=tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=unclassified connecting smaller villages and hamlets
Click here for a guide on mapping road networks in South Kivu, DRC and see Highway Africa Tag page for advice on tagging roads.
Other road tags:
Smaller offshoot roads could be left off unless they link different areas of habitation.
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, narrow footpaths, not even a 4x4 can get down this
See the OSM map features page and the wiki page on previous and future work in mapping South Kivu for more info.