This project was archived.
An earthquake of magnitude 5.9 has hit the Lake Victoria basin of Northern Tanzania and Southern Uganda on September, 10th at 15.47 EAT (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006nkx#pager). The task consists of tracing only buildings for coordinating help efforts from government institutions and civil society initiatives of rescue. Overall, the population in this region resides in structures that are vulnerable to earthquake shaking, though some resistant structures exist.
Created by bgirardot - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- buildings only
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-2143 #osmafrica #MissingMaps #tanzania_earthquake_2016 Detailed building mapping around epicenter of quake. source=DigitalGlobe When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
Please check instructions often - expect changes to projects and priority areas
Project Specific Mapping Notes
- Use Bing imagery where you can, but also check Mapbox if Bing is cloudy
- Please leave existing mapping, this has been mapped locally and roads imported
Buildings Only Please
- Please accurately outline all the buildings you can find. The outline should be for the full size of the building even if it is partly covered by trees in the imagery.
- After drawing the outline, use the 's' key in the web editor to "square" the corners.
- Many buildings are very close, but do not actually touch each other, try to map them close to each other without letting them connect or share nodes with each other, roads or residential area outlines.
- In the iD web editor, the first time you map a building you will use the "Building" category and then at the bottom of the list select "Building" again, this is the most generic building tag we can use as we almost never can tell the more specific use of any building from imagery alone.
If you have personal knowledge of a building, please add that information to the building, like the name or type of building (hospital, school, gas station, etc)