This project was archived.
- Author: Missing Maps / HOT
- Requesting organization: American Red Cross
This area of Kinshasa has not been mapped because of a lack of access to good quality satellite imagery. The Red Cross is implementing a mass measles vaccination campaign in Kinshasa in September. Geographical information is vital for this effort if the Red Cross is to achieve the necessary coverage to protect these communities from large scale outbreaks.
In the same area, MSF teams are fighting an epidemic of yellow fever, involving another vaccination campaign covering multiple vaccination sites, and fumigation / destruction of disease spreading mosquitos. Again, this involves a strong spatial element.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: high
- Entities to Map
- road networks and residential areas
- Changeset Comment
- #MissingMaps #hotosm-project-2045 Kinshasa, Congo (DRC) #roads #residentialareas #MapGive Source=WorldView-1, DigitalGlobe, NextView, 14 Apr 2016 #RedCross #MSF When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
[imagery url available only after accepting the license]
Access to this imagery is limited by the NextView license agreement.
You need to review and acknowledge the agreement.
This is the first stage of mapping in this area of Kinshasa and focusses on residential areas and road networks. Please use the NextView imagery provided.
Please choose a square and trace areas of habitation as residential areas and all road networks within your square.
Commonly used tags
- landuse=residential for groups of two or more buildings
- highway=residential for roads within inhabitated areas
- highway=tertiary for main roads through the city
- highway=unclassified for roads connecting villages and hamlets
Other road tags:
Smaller offshoot roads can be left off if they do not link areas of habitation.
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, narrow footpaths, not even a 4x4 can get down this
Please do not delete any other data from this area if you do not know what it is.