This project was archived.
PATH and Tableau Foundation have partnered in efforts to eliminate malaria in Zambia by 2020. The buildings you will add in OpenStreetMap will help the project in developing the tools for eradicating this preventable disease that affects over 4 million Zambians annually.
Created by mikelmaron - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-1985 #MissingMaps mapping buildings in Livingstone for Malaria analysis and prevention in #Zambia #VisualizeNoMalaria When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
Project Specific Mapping Notes
- Only buildings need to be mapped
- Forest! - Some task squares will be only forest or farmland, please just double check and then mark them done.
- Clouds! - Some of this is covered by clouds in the Bing imagery. Try switching to MapBox imagery, first. If that's no good, please just look really close and map as much as you can, and then leave a comment in the box before you click "Mark task as done" or "Stop mapping" and say "Cloudy :("
- Existing Mapping Does not Match Imagery - This happens in some areas. Use the Bing imagery, but adjust it so it aligns with the existing mapping, then continue mapping. Please leave a comment in the Tasking Manager when you mark done/stop mapping to say you adjusted the imagery. Animated GIF how to adjust background imagery in iD
- Pictures: We collected flickr pictures of the landscape and types of buildings you will most commonly be mapping
- Mapping Video: We created a quick 18 minute video that shows exactly how to map this project.
- Please accurately outline all the buildings you can find. The outline should be for the full size of the building even if it is partly covered by trees in the imagery.
- After drawing the outline, use the 's' key in the web editor to "square" the corners.
- In the iD web editor, a circle building can be made by drawing a triangle and then pressing the "o" key.
- Many buildings are very close, but do not actually touch each other, try to map them close to each other without letting them connect or share nodes with each other, roads or residential area outlines.
- In the iD web editor, the first time you map a building you will use the "Building" category and then at the bottom of the list select "Building" again, this is the most generic building tag we can use as we almost never can tell the more specific use of any building from imagery alone.