Validators, please validate residential areas and road networks!
- Author: Missing Maps / HOT
- Requesting organization: MSF
- Priority: Low
MSF teams, in collaboration with the Congolese Ministry of Health, provide care for thousands of people in Masisi General Hospital and other health centres in the area, including the provision of HIV care. MSF also organises mobile clinics, which respond to the needs of people affected by violence, insecurity and poor access to healthcare, some of whom have have been forced to flee their homes.
Mapping this area will help MSF to identify vulnerable populations, plan and manage medical interventions and provide better care for those displaced by violence.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Satellite imagery for this project is kindly provided by Digital Globe through their +Vivid service.
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- Major road networks
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-1968, #MissingMaps, Masisi #CongoDRC Added #majorroads using DG +Vivid #osmgeoweek2016 When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
This is the second stage in providing pre-emptive mapping of Masisi territory in Congo (DRC). This stage focusses on major highways/roads.
Please use the +Vivid imagery provided (this should open automatically in JOSM and iD). If there is cloud cover, try MapBox imagery.
Commonly used tags for major roads:
- highway=primary, highway=secondary or highway=tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=unclassified connecting smaller villages and hamlets
Other road tags:
Smaller offshoot roads could be left off unless they link different areas of habitation.
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, narrow footpaths, not even a 4x4 can get down this
See Highway Africa Tag page for advice on tagging roads. See the OSM map features page and the wiki page on previous and future work in mapping South Kivu for more info.