This project was archived.
- Author: Missing Maps
- Priority: Medium
The Democratic Republic of Congo is a priority country for the Missing Maps project. South Kivu is a province of DRC that, for decades, has faced unceasing humanitarian crises. With constantly changing conflicts, seasonal disease epidemics and a population in constant flux, many international NGOs have permanent presences here.
There is no freely available mapping data available for the province, aside from that which has been already generously contributed by the HOT community in response to very specific crises. The Missing Maps has launched the Map South Kivu project to map the entire province, both remotely and through local community mapping. See here for a video introduction to mapping South Kivu.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- residential areas, primary roads, secondary roads / les routes et les zones résidentielles
- Changeset Comment
- Fizi, DRC, #hotosm-project-1301, #MissingMaps, #MapSouthKivu, #CongoDRC #bing When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
This is the first stage in providing pre-emptive mapping of South Kivu in Congo (DRC). The first stage focusses on residential areas and major highways/roads. Please use the Bing imagery provided.
Commonly used tags
Residential areas are composed of more than two houses and are tagged with landuse=residential. Click here for a guide on mapping residential areas in South Kivu.
- highway=primary, highway=secondary or highway=tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=unclassified connecting smaller villages and hamlets
Other road tags:
Smaller offshoot roads could be left off unless they link different areas of habitation.
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, narrow footpaths, not even a 4x4 can get down this
See RemoteMappingGuideSouthKivu a tracing guide developed for South Kivu or Highway Africa Tag page for advice on tagging roads. See the OSM map features page and the wiki page on previous and future work in mapping South Kivu for more info.