- Author: Missing Maps
- Requesting Organization: American Red Cross
- Priority: Medium
Fires regularly occur in urban slums, often resulting from indoor stove use, trash burning, faulty wires and residents trying to keep warm. Rapid, unplanned development forces homes close together and allows fire to spread easily. Pathways between homes are narrow and often blocked, making evacuations chaotic and dangerous. Residents commonly do not know who to call for firefighting assistance, and if firefighters are available they have a difficult time finding and responding to fires quickly.
Red Cross Partners are piloting a project to solve this issue; a low-cost, smart home sensor system that is solar-powered and affixed to each home within the informal settlement.
These maps we will be creating will directly help for program planning and decisions making, Additionally they will be used by the firefighters to effectively reach the fires in time to save lives and property.
Please map all buildings
building=yes and roads.
Created by dkunce - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- buildings, roads
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-1182 #MissingMaps #RedCross #Khayelitsha Source=WorldView-3, DigitalGlobe, NextView When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
[imagery url available only after accepting the license]
Access to this imagery is limited by the NextView license agreement.
You need to review and acknowledge the agreement.
- building=yes for all buildings
- highway=primary, secondary or tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries that can still fit a car
- highway=track to small for a car or vehicle
highway=path not even a 4x4 can get down this