This project was archived.
- Author: Missing Maps
- Priority: Medium
The Democratic Republisc of Congo is a priority country for the Missing Maps project. South Kivu is a province of DRC that, for decades, has faced unceasing humanitarian crises. With constantly changing conflicts, seasonal disease epidemics and a population in constant flux, MSF and other NGOs have permanent presences here.
There is no freely available mapping data available for the province, aside from that which has been already generously contributed by the HOT community in response to very specific crises. The Missing Maps has launched the Map South Kivu project to map the entire province, both remotely and through local community mapping.
The Missing Maps project aims to map the most vulnerable places in the world (affected by humanitarian crises: disease epidemics, conflict, natural disasters, poverty, environmental crises). Building on HOT's disaster preparedness projects, the Missing Maps tasks facilitate pre-emptive mapping of priority countries to better facilitate disaster response, medical activities and resource allocation when crises occur.
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- residential areas, primary roads, secondary roads
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-1088 #MissingMaps #MapSouthKivu #CongoDRC When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
This is the first stage in providing pre-emptive mapping of South Kivu in Congo (DRC).
The first stage focusses on residential areas and major highways/roads. Please use Bing imagery for this task.
Please outline residential areas (more than two houses) and tag as landuse=residential.
Please trace major highways and roads - see below for useful tags and resources.
The road networks within towns and villages do not need to be mapped at this point. Likewise smaller offshoot roads could be left off unless they link different areas of habitation.
Commonly used tags and useful resources:
- landuse=residential for a border around a cluster of residential buildings
- highway=primary, secondary or tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=unclassified connecting smaller villages and hamlets.
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, not even a 4x4 can get down this