This project was archived.
- Author: Missing Maps
- Priority: Medium
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is a high priority country for the Missing Maps project. For decades, eastern DRC, where South Kivu is situated, has experienced armed conflict, political instability, and serious health crises. Armed militias loot and attack villages whilst a host of health complications, including malnutrition and neglected tropical diseases, go untreated. Although MSF and other NGOs have been providing humanitarian assistance to the population, there is still a great need for the communities to have better access to healthcare, education, and livelihoods. By helping to map South Kivu, you will play a direct role in facilitating this.
The aim of this task is to map the entire province of South Kivu, both remotely and through local community mapping. This task is part of the Missing Maps Project, whose objective is to pre-emptively map vulnerable countries to support ongoing humanitarian projects and improve disaster response, medical activities, and resource allocation when crises occur.
Thank you for contributing.
Created by pedrito1414 - Updated - Priority: low
- Entities to Map
- residential areas, primary roads, secondary roads
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-project-1076 #MissingMaps #MapSouthKivu #CongoDRC When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
This is the first stage in providing pre-emptive mapping of South Kivu in Congo (DRC).
The first stage focusses on residential areas and major highways/roads. Please use Bing imagery for this task.
Please outline residential areas (more than two houses) and tag as landuse=residential.
Please trace major highways and roads - see below for useful tags and resources.
The road networks within towns and villages do not need to be mapped at this point. Likewise smaller offshoot roads could be left off unless they link different areas of habitation.
Commonly used tags and useful resources:
- landuse=residential for a border around a cluster of residential buildings
- highway=primary, secondary or tertiary for main roads connecting towns
- highway=residential inside residential boundaries
- highway=unclassified connecting smaller villages and hamlets.
- highway=track only goes to farmland
- highway=path, not even a 4x4 can get down this