This project was archived.
DO NOT DO THIS TASK ANYMORE, we are on the 2nd pass of mapping, please go to Task 1018
The international community is responding rapidly. The international charter has activated. We are also coordinating with international organizations and the DHnetwork.
Hundred of deaths reported after a few hours.Communications are hard at this point.
First priority established in the first hours after the Earthquake, is the road network to connect to remote areas.
Created by PierZen - Updated - Priority: medium
- Entities to Map
- Road network
- Changeset Comment
- #hotosm-Nepal-Earthquake-1001 When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
Trace all roads. Often in the mountains, only paths exist. Trace these paths and assure to connect them to the road network.
Do not trace all the paths in the fields or small paths of a few hundred meters that do not connect to road networks. This make more difficult to read the map and identify the important paths.
Comment source=Bing Imagery If any problem with Bing Imagery, verify if MapBox covers the area.
Road tagging guide
- highway=primary Road corridors that carries a huge volume of traffic between arterial roads and has a high density of public transport services. These roads often connect two relatively distant localities in urban areas.
- highway=secondary Collector roads that carry lower volume of traffic and has either no public transport service or a lower density of public transport service. These roads often connect two neighboring/nearby localities in urban areas.
- highway=road Roads traced from satellite imagery for which a classification has not been determined yet. This is a temporary tag indicating further ground survey work is required.
- highway=residential General residential roads in a planned locality. Wide enough to carry slow moving residential traffic.
- highway=service Generally for access to (or inside) a building, industrial estate, universities, parks, etc.
- highway=pedestrian Roads that are almost exclusively used by pedestrians and are out of bounds of motor vehicles in normal conditions, such as plazas and squares.
- highway=track Unpaved motorable tracks
Also, look out for pedestrian suspension bridges. They are common and can look like this. Tag as: bridge=suspension / highway=footway / layer=1